Sunday, January 30, 2011

"Sat-ur-day in the Par--Trafalgar Square"


We had a slow start this morning, but once we finally got up and going, we spent the day exploring Trafalgar Square, the National Portrait Gallery, The National Gallery, and Piccadilly Circus. It was ca-hooooooold, but we didn't let the freezing temperatures bring down our fun! I forgot how much I love museums. Gosh, I'm a nerd.

This is my suite-mate, Connor, and me in front of the National Portrait Gallery. (Mom those gloves have been keeping me warm!) We mostly looked at the modern stuff (because, how many 18th century english portraits can you really look at and still find something interesting?) There was this really interesting photography exhibition called "The British in New York City." The photographer, of course I forget his name, did this collection of photos on successful British people who now live in New York. With each photo, the person was quoted on some comparison of life in England vs America / London vs NYC. It was really cool. There are a lot of very successful British people in the Big Apple: Kate Winslet, head writers at vogue and vanity fair, president of Sothebys, playwrights, Sting, etc. The photos, all black and white, were great, all taken of the subject in his/her element. For example, there was a model turned shoe designer, who was photographed along a sweeping staircase with stiletto shoes piled high on each step. What was most fascinating to me, though, was what each person had to say about living away from home.  That really is what the exhibition is about, people living and thriving in an environment unfamiliar to them and making a new place feel like home. It obviously struck me, because I can identify with the concept. It was funny though, all these people were talking about how they come to New York because there is this American sentiment of "I can do it" and a feeling of hope and optimistic pursue of success because America is the land of opportunity, and here I am, walking around the National Portrait Gallery, in Trafalgar Square, surrounded by all this amazing British culture and history, and I'm thinking all those same things, but about London.
This is the view of Big Ben and Westminster, standing in Trafalgar Square. Not bad.


A Classic equestrian statue, like all the ones we studied in Art History.

Look at how HUGE it is

This was so weird to me. Everyone climbs up the statues and sits on the lions to take a picture. It felt like I was touching a painting in a museum and the guards didn't care -- I don't know, it's weird to me that everyone touches and sits on these old, amazing statues! But, you know, everyone was doing it....

This man has strong abs and good balance! But look at how HUGE the lions are. huge Huge HUge HUGe HUGE, (Teny, I know you will apply the appropriate voice when saying that).

There is it. The National Gallery. My new favorite place.

This is what you see right before you walk up the steps of the beautiful, Neoclassical building. "Explore & Reflect." That's why we all come to museums, isn't it? And at the National Gallery, there was SO much of that to do! First of all, the museum is gigantic. Very, very large. There is this great front porch area, and between the columns is an amazing view of Big Ben and Westminster. Ah I just LOVE London. You walk into the National Gallery and the foyer is this incredible embellished interior, with columns lining the walls, leading up to a beautiful gold dome. There are these different wings, with the art organized by date and location. It was interesting because the interior changed so suit the art, for example, 1500s Italian Religious paintings were in these grand rooms with high ceilings and gold details

No comments:

Post a Comment